&t The Taylor Family: China, Day 12- Here and There

Saturday, April 21

China, Day 12- Here and There

Peter and I have been running pretty hard non stop since we got here almost two weeks ago. We wanted to make sure we took advantage of our time and saw all the sights we wanted to see. We had a couple disappointments with weather not cooperating but for the most part we were blessed with good weather and lots of time. After yesterday's run around we had decided that this weekend we would spend at the flat with Vandita and Anupam. This morning we got up and dressed and just hung out at home. Vandita asked me if I could make chili in the crock pot
and I have a great recipe so I was happy to do this. I went through the pantry and made a list of things I needed to buy and Anupam dropped Peter and I off at the grocery store nearby. He was going to come with us but there was absolutely no parking, even after we circled the Peak and came back around. Anupam had to go into work today so Peter and I jumped out so he could get on his way. We had fun going through the store, it was about a quarter of the size the Publix we shop at is, maybe even less. I had to make a couple adjustments to my list as the options were quite limited but I made due and we purchased our choices after picking out a few fun Chinese snack things to take home for the children. We walked back to the flat which was
only about 10-15 minutes. Peter browned the beef while I mixed up the other things in the crock pot and cut up the pepper and garlic. I started cutting the onions but right away my eyes started stinging so Peter took over and finished it all off. He's so nice to me. When dinner was all in the pot and cooking away Peter and I started planning our trip to Soho to hit a burger joint that Vandita and Anupam said we couldn't miss out on. Anupam claimed the burger he had there was the best he had ever had in his life. A nice burger sounded good right about now so with Vandita's help we figured out exactly where it was and headed out to catch the bus. The directions we had were great and after we took part of the "longest escalator" we turned down a street or two and found the restaurant no problem. We had to wait about 10 minutes and then we were seated and ordered our burgers. When they came, they were huge and had fries and a small salad with them. We dug in and filled up. I ate about 3/4 of mine, it was really large and then I ate mine and Peter's salad. It had a vinegar dressing on it and Peter doesn't like vinegar. The burger was alright but I thought it had a weird taste to it. Peter said that may be because the beef is from Australia and the cows have a different diet there. I don't know if that is the case but it made sense though I didn't notice a taste in the chili we had for dinner.
Peter liked his burger better than I did but didn't think it was the best he had ever had. We walked back the way we came and stopped at a massage place that had Foot Reflexology Massage. This is something very common here in Hong Kong and apparently throughout China. They massage your feet and legs up to your knees hitting each pressure point to relax your entire body. Parts of the massage were very painful for me but I know my muscles have been very worked these last two weeks so I probably had a few knots in them. It was nice to have our feet rubbed and pampered, the massage we had in Beijing was everywhere except our feet which is probably what needed it most. Peter said his massage was very good and he only had very minor pain temporarily. Afterward we didn't want to put our socks and shoes back on but we had told Vandita we would be home by 4 today. We gathered our things and had a smooth time getting home. Anupam was taking the dog to an appointment and was taking Ederly with him so Vandita was going to be home alone with the babies. Normally this is fine but since she broke her ankle she can't get around just yet. We got back to the flat just as Anupam was heading out. We played with the babies for a while until they both fell asleep and then Peter and I went to our room so try and pack our things. We had bought many things on this trip and we had only brought two backpacks and two carryon size suitcases. When we came here more than half the space in our suitcases was empty. We are pretty good at packing light and we hate to check luggage so we do what we can to take as little as possible.
Peter had put some laundry in the washer earlier so we didn't have everything we needed to pack and of course we still have two days before we leave. We started with all our purchases and some of the things we knew we absolutely wouldn't need before we left. Peter packed up a full and tight suitcase and I filled half of mine. We don't have too much more to put in and both of our backpacks are still virtually empty. When we had finished what we could Peter and I went to prepare dessert. We had bought everything we needed to make chocolate covered strawberries. Peter cleaned and dried all the berries as I melted the milk chocolate and then dipped the strawberries in. I used white chocolate to drizzle over the berries and then we put them in the fridge to harden.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home