&t The Taylor Family: Baby fish

Sunday, May 29

Baby fish

I don't remember when we got our fish pond out front. I remember it was Father's Day and the oldest post I could find about it was in 2005 so we have had it at least 6 years. Well, for the first time ever our fish have reproduced. I don't know when this happened or how often it has happened but this afternoon I was just watching the fish nip at the surface when I saw a little white fish that was definitely too small to be one of the 5 we have had. I told Peter and he said he saw it too. Later I took the children out to see if we could see him and much to our surprise we saw at least a dozen baby fish swimming around. There were orange ones, white and orange ones, black ones and plain white ones. I know fish lay eggs so it seemed silly to think only one had survived but having never seen any others I figured the other fish or the big sucker fish had had a nice lunch. Anyhow, the baby fish we saw ranged in size from about one millimeter to probably over an inch long. Later I took Peter out to show him all the little ones and we saw at least 20 different ones. Hopefully these baby fish will grow a bit bigger and stronger before frog season comes, I know those frogs would like to get their tongues around a nice little fish dinner. In the photo you can see a bigger black fish (which I don't ever remember having) and two other gold and white fish both of which are our new babies. They are eating fish flakes I sprinkled to get them to come up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home