&t The Taylor Family: Now we're cookin'

Wednesday, March 14

Now we're cookin'

Last Saturday our oven blew up while I was making lunch. The bottom element burned itself into two pieces and the wire that connects it fried up and couldn't be found. The knob that turns the oven on and off stopped working and Peter had to turn the breaker off to get it to stop sparking and flaring up inside the oven. Good times. It was a bit scary at first but once the power was cut to it everything calmed down a bit. We weren't really sure what to do so we went online to see what our options were. Because there were so many things wrong with the oven we soon learned it was beyond economical repair so we started looking at buying a new one. We just replaced our dishwasher so this was a
very unexpected expense but one we couldn't put off for very long. To magnify the need of the stove Peter and I had recently given up eating out at any restaurant for the 40 days that leads up to Easter. We have been doing so well for 2 weeks but now we had a new obstacle. Saturday night I made the kids some oatmeal in the microwave and heated up a pasta dish for peter and I in the electric skillet. Because we can't turn the power to the oven on we couldn't use the stove either. The next few nights we had Taco salad (electric skillet) and then two crock pot meals of Chicken and Rice Soup (perfect for Peter's sore throat) and last night was Beef Stew. Everything tasted great but I was really running out of ideas for how to make dinner without an oven or stove. We had looked at a few ranges at the place where we bought the dishwasher but the one we wanted would take 2 weeks to get in, not going to happen. Peter went online and made a few calls and ultimately ordered the one I wanted. Today when I got home I had a brand new stove waiting for me!! It is beautiful and I couldn't wait to try it out. I made some breaded ranch chicken in the oven and I made diced potatoes in garlic parsley sauce as well as some green beans. The range did a great job and I am so relieved to have a full kitchen again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home