&t The Taylor Family: The Passion Flower

Tuesday, July 11

The Passion Flower

Peter and I needed somthing to fill in the area between our two windows in front of the house. After looking over all the pretty flowers and plants at Lucas Nursery we kept coming back to the Passion Flower. They had lots of different colors, but purple being my favorite easily beat out the rest. I planted this guy not too long ago and it is really thriving. We get new flowers just about everyday and I never get tired of looking at all the detail that this flower holds.


The 'Passion flower' acquired its name from descriptions of its flower parts supplied by priests in South America known at that time as the 'New Spain'. The parts were interpreted by Giacomo Bosio, a churchman and historian, in Rome (1609), as representing various elements of the Crucifixion. The five petals and five sepals are the ten disciples less Judas & Peter. The corona filaments are the crown of thorns. The five stamen with anthers match the five sacred wounds & the three stigma the nails. I thought this was very interesting.

1 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home