&t The Taylor Family: Bresa's a chef

Friday, May 3

Bresa's a chef

Bresa likes to collect the free recipes from Publix that they have in the bakery and by the produce. She is often asking me to write down the recipes of the meals I make regularly so she can have them for her "recipe folder" also. Sometimes she will ask if she can help me with dinner and when it is feasible I will have her get me out some ingredients, stir something up, or even chop up a veggie or two but mostly I do all the work. Recently, though, she has been asking more and more about cooking so I told her that if she really wanted to she could make up a menu for this coming Friday and prepare the meal. I told her she would have to choose wisely and taken into account what we had in order to prepare a meal (we are currently without a BBQ grill so anything that required grilling was out of the question). After she choose a soup and main course and also a dessert I made her write out the ingredients of each recipe. Then I went through and told her what we already had in the pantry and what we would need to buy at the grocery store. After school today I took her grocery shopping and made her tell me what we needed from her list. I made sure she had written out the quantities and weights of each item and showed her why it was important to know before you got to the store. Once we got home and all the groceries were put away Bresa started her meal. I had to supervise so that she was sure to know how to work everything (Stand Mixer, Stove, knives, etc.). I prompted Bresa to read ahead to see what step was next and encouraged her to start the next step while she was waiting for the last step to be completed. She had a couple melt downs when things didn't work exactly as she would have liked but she pulled through and finished the job. The recipes said they should take about 20 minutes but being that this was Bresa's first time and things like chopping and stirring are fairly new to her it took closer to 2 hours. In the end though we all had a wonderful dinner of Country Fried Steak with Sausage Gravy, Broccoli and Swiss cheese soup, and for dessert a delicious Peach Parfait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home