&t The Taylor Family: To grow babies

Monday, September 10

To grow babies

This morning I finally sent out the milk I had pumped, from when the triplets were born, to The Mother's Milk Bank in CO. I had a to send a lot and couldn't fit everything I wanted into the box. The MMB had sent me an insulated box a while ago with all the instructions on how to pack it and a prepaid shipping label to send it back. I had to go to the doctor and have some blood drawn for them to make sure I wasn't ill with anything that could be given to the babies who will receive my milk. The milk was overnighted via UPS and MMB should get it tomorrow. Once there they do the sterilizing and pasteurizing to make sure the milk is free from any bacteria or harmful substances. They then take the milk and distribute it to NICUs all over the country. The NICU's have to pay for the milk, I believe it was $3.50 an ounce. This helps take care of the cost of all the is incurred through preparation. Many of the employees at MMB are actually volunteers and the company is non-profit. When you donate they ask that you donate a minimum of 150 oz. I gave a lot more than that but not as much as some women. I talked to some that pumped their milk for 6-12 months to donate. I only pumped for a month. If I were to be a surrogate again I would also pump and donate my milk again. It is really a great cause.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home