&t The Taylor Family: Giving Joy

Saturday, December 5

Giving Joy

Peter and I had planned to get up super early and take the girls to Disney to be there for the filming of the Christmas Parade today. Janell and Wyatt won tickets for it and put us on their list for tickets. I had it all planned out, what the girls were going to wear, how I was going to do their hair, and made sure we had everything packed up for the day. Well, when the rain started and didn’t stop yesterday and was predicted to do the same today Janell did some research and found that the parade had been put off until tomorrow morning which we can’t go to because we already had a Sunday. I was really disappointed that we were going to miss the parade; I had been looking forward to it all week. In the end it worked out though because I had also signed up to volunteer for a program, “Giving Joy” that the church was putting on and it landed on the same day. I was going to help with the set up yesterday because I wouldn’t be here today but now that my day was free I was able to help for the actual event. Giving Joy is a program that the church started last year where people in the church donate new or gently used toys and clothes and then the church holds a “shopping day” for free for families in the community that don’t have the means to provide Christmas for their families. Children were encouraged to help their parents work the event to see what giving was all about. I decided to take Bresa to be my big helper and we rode over with our friend Brenda for the 12-4:00 shift. There was a room in the back for kids to play if they got tired of working and needed a break. We walked through the room but I decided not to tell Bresa she could go there until I felt she needed it. We worked the girl’s toys table (perfect) and helped many parents pick out toys that we thought might suit their child’s interest. Bresa did a great job of keeping the table stocked and found all the really cool toys that hadn’t been put out yet. Every time she would find a cool toy she would point it out and pretty much the next person to come up would take it! She didn’t get tired or cranky at all and probably could have gone on for several more hours. She found lots of toys that had parts or went with other things and made sure to put them all together so that the person who took it home would have the complete set. The families that came in were very appreciative and I was almost brought to tears many times. Once all the families had come through the kids who had helped out were aloud to go around and pick one toy of their choice to take home. Bresa was really excited about that because she had been eyeing a blue fairy doll on our table. I don’t think anyone who came through the church could have possibly felt as blessed as I did by being able to bless them. It is truly better to give than to receive!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home