&t The Taylor Family: A Weekend to Remember

Sunday, September 11

A Weekend to Remember

Peter and I were talking with our good friends, Brenda and Bill, one day about marriage conferences and retreats. I said in passing that I had always wanted to go to one but we had never made it yet. Brenda and Bill had both been to a couple so they had a lot of things to say about them and different things various organizations offered. A couple months later Brenda and Bill surprised us and told us they had booked a Couples Retreat for us in Tampa and Brenda had even called my mom to make sure she could watch the kids for those dates. The conference was 3 days long, starting on Friday and ending today, and had various sessions within it. There were a lot of topics covered including, communication, threats, God's plan, conflicts, intimacy, and legacies. There were more topics included but I can't name them all. There were also several application projects that we each had to do individually and as a couple together. Saturday night we were have a date night together so Peter and I went to one of the local malls and ate dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. I wasn't really sure what to expect from the weekend, I was really excited to go but I didn't know how much I would get from it. Peter and I have one of the strongest marriages of any couple that we know but we also know that there is always room for improvement. Just from the first couple sessions we went to Friday night I was already learning knew concepts and opening my mind to see "his side" over "my side". One of the applications we had to do was answer a few questions about what drew us to each other when we first met, what kept us attracted after we got married, how we appreciate each other's differences and how the other's character helps us grow to be a better person. As you answered the questions you were supposed to write them in form of a love letter and then read the letters to each other. I cry about every 45 minutes anyhow so this was no easy task for me. When I finished my letter I read it to Peter (stopping a few times to calm the tears) and then Peter read me his. It was so amazing the things that he said to me, things that I had no idea he felt. Everything was positive of course but to hear how I inspired him and how I did things that made him change his ways or thoughts for the better just blew me away. He didn't agree with the letter I wrote to him but everything I wrote was completely from my heart. By the time the conference was over today I was really amazed at how much I had learned not only about marriage but personal and specific things about Peter that I didn't know even after 13 years of being together. We had a great time and we both took a lot from the conference. There are a couple more getaways coming in this next year that are actually closer to home so we are going to try and get a bunch of our friends to go to it because we honestly thing everyone can benefit from it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home