&t The Taylor Family: Cache in, Trash Out!!

Saturday, April 7

Cache in, Trash Out!!

Every year the Florida Geocaching Association sponsers events where cachers get together to clean up a cerian area in our forests or along the roads, pretty much where ever needs it. This year a cacher named Clan Riffster organized an event by the Econlock-
hatchee River in Oviedo. I contacted him early on and told him that I wanted to come but couldn't do any physical work like lugging garbage filled bags or even a lot of bending and stooping. He was great and let me help out on the admin side of things so that I could still participate. I was in charge of checking everyone in and handing out raffle tickets to all that showed and also for each bag of trash they brought up. There were a couple other things I did to help out but the best part was just getting to meet everyone and also seeing those I had met before. We all had a great time and in the end we had a pile of trash from just around the riverbanks. Some cachers went out in canoes to help bring back the trash and others loaded buckets full of broken glass. After the clean up was done Clan Riffster raffled off a bunch of goodies including 10 really well camoed ammo cans (to hide for your own caches) trackable geocoins (always coveted) and t-shirts. In the end I think I was the only one that didn't win anything because I didn't get the chance to collect extra tickets by bringing up trash. CR saw this and came by and gave me my own ammo can that he had set aside for me for helping him out. Later a bunch of us cachers met for lunch nearby and talked about different caches and GPS' and technology (I know sounds great to you non-cachers). I had a great time and wish that these events were held more than once a year. In the top pic you can see the camoed ammo cans in a pile in the lower left corner. The bottom picture is the pile of trash that the cachers collected on the trails, ew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home