&t The Taylor Family: A Morning Out

Saturday, February 19

A Morning Out

Peter has lots of work to do and the guitars are piling up but this evening we have plans to go to Tina and Noah's house to celebrate Reba's birthday. Since Peter wasn't going to be able to work tonight I figured I would take the kids away and let Daddy have some nice quiet time that he could use to just focus on his job without children distractions. Our annual zoo membership is good until the end of next month and since the weather has really gotten nice out I wanted to take the kids somewhere outside. When we got to the zoo it looked like there were a lot of cars but when we got in there was hardly anyone around. We went to each exhibit and Javan was really taken by all the animals. He just stopped and stared at each one and said, "hi" and, "bye bye." We went in the petting zoo area and the girls found a lot of food that other people had dropped so they picked it up and fed it to the goats, cows, sheep, and llama. I never remember to bring cash so I was glad there was a lot of the pellets to be found. Pretty soon Javan figured it out too and was feeding all the animals as well. They all had a great time in there then they washed their hands really well and we went on to see the rest. My favorite animals are always the big cats. I could sit and watch them all day long. Our zoo has leopards and cheetahs and when you get there before noon you can usually see them walking around rather than just lying down somewhere far off in the exhibits. The girls favorite thing is the butterfly garden. Today there weren't any butterflies but we walked around and looked at all the flowers and plants. There was a groundskeeper there that was giving away little citrus fruits right from the tree in the garden. I don't know what kind of fruit it was but they looked like little oblong oranges peel and all. The keeper said to eat the entire thing and at first it would be very tart but then it would get nice and sweet. The kids were more than eager to try and they puckered up with the tart part but soon you could see the relief on their faces. Abbi didn't like it but Bresa and Javan had seconds. The last animal we saw was the Green Winged Macaws. Javan just stared and stared and then they started making noises. He was so intrigued. The girls and I walked away and I was calling for Javan to come but he was so focused on the birds. I heard high pitched screaming and thought it was Javan trying to get the birds to talk back but then realized it was the birds talking to him. Eventually I was able to get Javan to come to and we decided to head out so we could get home and get some lunch and hopefully get Javan a nap.

2 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger Paula said...

Hey Chellee! What a fun day at the zoo! Were the citrus fruits kumquats? That's what they sound like to me.

If the girls like butterflies, I highly recommend a trip to the Florida Museum of Natural History at the University of Florida in Gainesville. They have a butterfly rainforest and you can walk around and watch them fly about. They sometimes even land on you! It's a really fun trip!

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger We are the Taylors said...

Hi Paula, yes the fruits were kumquats. I did some research afterwards and figured it out. For some reason I thought kumquats would be more similar to loquats but live and learn.
Thanks for the info on the butterfly garden, I was actually just thinking about taking the girls to one yesterday. I know there is one in Cape Coral but it is expensive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home