&t The Taylor Family: Experimenting

Friday, April 29

Experimenting

Lately I have been on a kick to try and create new things. I am one of those people who cook because my family needs to eat and not because I want to. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind cooking but I can't say that I enjoy it all that much either (especially all the dishes that come with it). I do like making new things and experimenting with cool recipes that sound promising and I become proud of my creations when I get lots of rave reviews from my food critics (usually my Life Group). At the beginning of each week I make up a menu for each night and then make my grocery list based on what I need for those meals. Coming up with 7 different meals every week becomes difficult sometimes and it seems like we have the same things over and over again. Trying to get out of a rut I decided to expand on what meals I make at home. Earlier in the week I made homemade potato skins. They were delicious and so much less greasy than the kind you order at restaurants. I loaded them with all the fixings and together the family devoured them. Tonight I made homemade chicken pot pie. I know lots of people do this and really it isn't hard but just something I never ventured. I really am not a pot pie kind of person but I know Peter likes them and anything that has lots of veggies is promising in my book. One site I really like and use often is AllRecipes.com. I like them because they give great recipes but also have tons of reviewers commenting on what they changed and what they did or didn't like about the posted recipe. After I find a recipe I always read several reviews to see what I should alter to make it more to my taste. The pot pie came out great and Peter and the kids loved it. I thought it was pretty good but I will add some more seasoning next time around. After dinner I decided to test another new recipe and make chocolate covered pretzels. Everything went pretty smoothly which was a relief because it was my first time using my version of a double boiler (I don't own one so I had to concoct my own). The pretzels coated nicely but after they hardened in the fridge the chocolate was a little thinner than I would like. I will have to try again with a different recipe next time. Another new recipe I tried this week was potato filled crescent rolls. I used the potato filling I scooped out to make the skins and mashed them up with butter and garlic. Then I took crescent rolls (in a tube) and made rectangles out of the dough (instead of the triangles). I put a scoop of the mashed potatoes in each rectangle than folded them over and pressed and sealed the edges. They cooked in the oven for about 15 minutes and then were ready for eating. They were so good, but you may have already noticed I am partial to potatoes. I like it when my cooking experiments go well, it gives me courage to try some more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home